Dr. Nicholas Monson is the official Sports Medicine Physician of Company Cup
We are proud to announce, that Dr. Nic Monson, D.O., of Davis Orthopedics and Sports Medicine, is the official Sports Medicine Physician for the Company Cup and the Wasatch Mile.
About Dr. Monson:
Dr. Monson grew up overseas in Japan, England, and Germany following his Dad who was a teacher. He moved to Cache Valley, Utah during high school. He spent two years in Veracruz, Mexico serving an LDS mission before returning to Utah State University where he earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Exercise Science, graduating Magna Cum Laude. He then earned his Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine at Des Moines University in Iowa, followed by a Family Medicine residency at the University of Utah. Dr. Monson went on to complete a Fellowship in Sports Medicine also at the University of Utah.
He has actively supported the Utah athletic community by serving as a team physician for multiple high schools in the Davis and Salt Lake Counties. He is a current team physician for the US Ski and Snowboarding teams. He has provided coverage for the US speed skating team (World Cup event coverage), The University of Utah Athletics including football, basketball, hockey, gymnastics and track & field, Salt Lake Community College Men’s Basketball. He has served as an event physician for, Salt Lake Marathon, Tour of Utah bike race, SoJo Marathon, Layton Marathon, USA cycling championships, the PAC 8 Championship Hockey Tournament, the NorAM Aerial Cup Finals, and the NCAA Cross-Country Ski Championships. He continues to be actively engaged in providing medical coverage for many of the events held throughout Utah.
Dr. Monson is a member of the American College of Sports Medicine, the American Academy of Family Medicine, the American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, the American Osteopathic Association and the Utah Medical Association.
Special areas of interest within Dr. Monson’s practice include:
- Evaluation and treatment of sports injuries
- Acute injuries (such as ankle sprains, muscle strains)
- Overuse injuries (such as rotator cuff and other forms of tendonitis, stress fractures)
- Advanced spinal procedures
- Epidural steroid injections
- Facet blocks
- SI joint injections
- Osteopathic Manipulative Therapy (OMT)
- Diagnostic ultrasound
- Ultrasound guided procedures
- Fracture care, non-operative
- Concussion management
- Pre-participation physical examination
- Medical and Injection therapies for osteoarthritis
- Nutrition, supplements, erogenic aids, and performance issues
- Education and counseling on illness & injury prevention
- Healthy lifestyle promotion
- Including the FAST procedure for chronic tendon disease
In this leisure time, Dr. Monson enjoys basketball, golf, hiking, biking, skiing, camping, soccer, tennis, surfing, traveling and doing anything with his wife and 3 kids. His passion for sports medicine lies in the ability to assist people in returning to doing what they love.
To schedule an appointment with Dr. Monson: Call (801) 773-3900